Blog Img

How To Get A Work Visa In Poland

Back to Blogs

​Looking to hire a worker for a project in Poland? As a member of the EU and EEA, only non-EU/EEA nationals will require a permit to work in the country.

Read on to discover how to submit an application on the contractor’s behalf – along with why Poland is proving to be a prosperous location for projects and candidates.

Why choose Poland?

Poland offers a number of benefits as a work location:

  • Minimum wage is PLN 3490 per month

  • There’s no legal obligation for the 13th month payment

  • 40-hour working week

  • 20 days’ holiday, which increases to 26 days after 10 years’ service at a company

  • Sick pay is paid depending on age:

    • Under 50’s: paid at 100% for 33 days by the employer

    • 50+: paid at 100% for 14 days by the employer

The taxation system is also advantageous for individuals:

  • Poland income tax system: There’s a flat rate of 19% for income tax based on a civil law contract. For the annual tax return, the progressive scale is applied, as it would be for a regular employment contract. If the worker is below the age of 26, their earnings aren’t taxed.

  • Inheritance and gift tax: Non-residents without Polish citizenship don’t pay this if movable property and property rights are inherited or donated in the Polish territory. This also requires the donor not be a Polish resident or official citizen.

  • Property tax: This varies as property taxes are categorised by city or town. In addition, there’s the choice to pay property tax in one lump sum or in four instalments over the course of the year (on the 15th of March, May, September, and November).

Which visa should you choose?

There are various options for both a work permit and work visa. The relevant ones are as follows:

Work permits

  • Type A: For those offered employment by a Polish employer – this requires a valid residence permit.

  • Type C: For those who’ve been sent to work in Poland via an intra-company transfer.

  • Type D: For those who’ve been sent to work in Poland in export services by a foreign employer without a Polish branch. If they’re required to work in the country for other reasons, they’ll need a Type E work permit.

Work visas

  • Type C: This is valid in the Schengen Area, allowing the worker to stay in all Schengen countries (including Poland) for a maximum of 90 days over a 180-day period.

  • Type D: This enables the contractor to enter and stay in Poland for more than 90 days, expiring after one year. It also permits them to access other Schengen Area Member States for up to 90 days during a period of 180 days.

  • The EU Blue Card: This is for highly qualified non-EU workers. It demands relevant higher professional qualifications, an employment contract, and a firm job offer for a role that lasts a year or more.

What documents are required?

The documentation you’ll need to apply for the permit on the contractor’s behalf includes:

  • Work permit application form

  • Evidence of fee payment

  • Copy of the worker’s passport or travel document

  • Proof of the employee’s medical insurance and your business’ legal status (from the National Court Register)

  • Your company’s economic activity records, deed, and profit and loss statement

  • Employment agreement

Choose WRS for support with the Poland work visa

We’re well-versed when it comes to applying for visas – including the challenges that can crop up. So, if you need help, we’re the team to turn to.

At WRS, we’re fully registered to provide tax services and managed payroll in Poland. Plus, our well-recognised timesheet portal and payroll software ensures that workers are paid on time and in the correct currency – every time.

Seeking support with global mobilisation? Let's talk.

Disclaimer: Worldwide Recruitment Solutions does not provide visa, immigration or taxation advice. This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended and should not be relied upon for visa, immigration or taxation advice. You should consult with a qualified immigration professional or the official government website of the country you're applying to for the most up-to-date and accurate information.